Happy New Year!
Did you make a resolution for 2019? Now that we’re in the second week of the year, have you kept your resolution? Let’s face it; many of us make such grand resolutions that they’re difficult to keep.
What if we made a resolution to do one thing? Since this is an environmental blog, I’m specifically thinking about one thing for the environment.
Environmental issues, such as climate change, can be so overwhelming that you might often think that your one action can’t make a difference. But you can! I even have it right in the tagline for this blog: collectively we can make a difference.
Let’s imagine that you were able to do one thing; you might be inspired to do something else. And, if you told your friends how easy it was, they might be inspired to do one thing too.
So, where to start? Here are a few tips to get the ideas rolling. Choose one or create your own plan. Then share your ideas with me using #TakeActionBurlington and/or #LiveGreenBurl.
- Walk or cycle instead of driving.
- Replacing a vehicle? Consider a plug-in hybrid for a primary vehicle or a fully electric vehicle for a secondary vehicle.
- Turn your engine off while you wait. The City has a bylaw for unnecessary idling with a fine of $120.
- Participate in community clean up and/or green up events.
- Grow your own food.
- Air dry your laundry indoors in the winter and outdoors in the summer.
- Plant a tree or landscape your garden using native plants.
- Say no to plastic straws at the restaurant.
- Bring your own reusable produce and grocery bags.
- Learn how to properly drain your pool.
- Use a programmable thermostat. Many have ‘smart’ capabilities that track when you’re home or away and adjust your home’s temperature accordingly. Or you can purchase a basic one and program it for when you’re home and away.
- Renovating this year? Consider not just the ‘nice to have’ upgrades such as kitchens and bathrooms but also hidden items such as extra insulation which will save on heating costs. And if you’re buying new appliances, make sure they’re Energy Star labelled to save energy.
Take Action Burlington! Do one thing. Collectively we can make a difference.