Earlier this month, I profiled the Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) store in Burlington. This time, I am featuring another local business Edge Imaging as recommended by Burlington Hydro Inc.’s manager of corporate communications, Christine Hallas.
Edge Imaging is a proud Burlington company in the school and sports photography business employing close to 300 people. In 2009, they were awarded the 2008 Burlington Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Award for Innovative Technology and are celebrating their third year receiving the Consumer Choice Award for Business Excellence.
Edge Imaging is committed to reducing their impact on the environment, particularly through measures to conserve energy and improved processes to deal with chemicals associated with their business. Examples of how Edge Imaging is reducing their impact include:
- Replacing 512 lights with 361 energy efficient lights through the saveONenergy for Business Retrofit Program delivered by Burlington Hydro resulting in:
- A carbon reduction of 125 tonnes – the equivalent of planting 46,540 trees
- Annual electricity savings of $30,462
- An incentive of $33,489 with a project payback of 0.49 years with the incentive
- Increased light levels with fewer light fixtures
- A digital printing press which has a 100 per cent carbon neutral manufacturing process
- Using Environmental Control Systems Inc. for silver recovery to remove photo paper chemicals before entering the water system
- Encouraging all employees to take a pledge to ensure environmental impact is a daily consideration in everything they do
- Being the only school photography supplier to have a formal partnership supporting and providing certified Ontario EcoSchools with in-kind photography services
- Carrying out an annual Earth Day clean-up on April 22
In addition to their environmental commitment, Edge Imaging is also involved in supporting community projects to empower children. They regularly offer free educational programming on safety, anti-bullying, mental health awareness and sustainability. This year, they partnered with the Tim Horton’s Children’s Foundation to increase awareness about the foundation and send kids to camp.
Well done Edge Imaging on taking action and working to reduce your carbon footprint. Collectively we can make a difference!