Are you a student in grade 7 to 12 wanting to take climate action? Do you need some community involvement hours for high school graduation? If you answered ‘yes,’ you might be interested in an upcoming opportunity through Generation Green.
What is Generation Green?
Generation Green is designed for youth by youth wanting to take initiative and show leadership to drive positive change on climate action in Halton. With the support of the Halton Climate Collective, students complete projects to reduce local greenhouse gas emissions. Each year, the program launches with a special event introducing students to the community projects and ends with another event where students can share their projects.
2021-2022 Theme: Active Transportation
This year’s theme is Active Transportation because transportation is one of the leading contributors of greenhouse gas emissions in Halton. In Burlington, transportation contributes about 40 per cent of our community greenhouse gas emissions.
Steps to Participate
- Attend the project launch on Feb. 18 at 5 p.m. to learn more.
- Submit a project proposal, which will take you five to 10 minutes to complete, by Feb. 22. Remember the project must be related to the theme of active transportation to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and build healthier, greener communities.
- Do your project and calculate your impact.
- Submit your Final Report Form, which will take about 20 to 30 minutes to complete, by Apr. 10, 2022.
- Attend the wrap-up event on April 25 to share your project and see what your peers have accomplished. You might win a prize for your effort.
Take Action Burlington! Collectively we can make a difference to reduce our local greenhouse gas emissions.