April 8, 2021 update: Due to the current stay-at-home order, Burlington’s Community Clean-Up has been postponed until the order is lifted. Once that happens, the opportunity will then be extended through to the end of October.
Spring has sprung. The days are getting longer, outdoor temperatures are rising, spring bulbs are emerging, and early spring migrant birds such as red-winged blackbirds are returning. One unfortunate sign of spring is the sight of litter that has emerged underneath the melted snow. Whether it’s from recycling that was put out too early or not properly secured on windy days or from intentional disposal, some areas need some tender, loving care.
Since BurlingtonGreen began hosting the annual community Clean Up Green Up event in 2011, over 109,000 participants have joined collective efforts to clean and green our parks, streams, schoolyards and neighbourhoods. Fortunately, BurlingtonGreen’s annual event is back with a twist. As with everything else since March 2020, this event has been modified, hence “the twist.”
The community Clean Up is beginning earlier this year from March 27 to May 2. Opportunities include:
- Safely collecting litter from our communities in small groups
- Encouraging team building with coworkers or classmates working or learning remotely by collecting litter at home on behalf of your workplace, business, class, school or team
How the Community Clean Up works:
- Determine a publicly accessible and safe location in Burlington. Note that some clean-up locations for Saturday, Apr. 24 are already registered and listed at burlingtongreen.org/programs/clean-up-green-up/. To avoid overlap and support COVID-safety, please avoid those areas or clean up on another day.
- Review the 2021 Clean Up Green Up Tip Sheet.
- Read and sign the Volunteer Activity and Photo/Video Consent Waiver as well as Halton’s COVID-19 safety guidelines.
- Register your participation. Beginning early April, limited clean-up supplies will be available, while quantities last during hours of operation at Nuvo Network’s front desk concierge and Burlington Centre’s guest services.
- On the day of the event, record the number of full bags of litter collected, take a photo and send it to BurlingtonGreen.
- Bring ALL collected waste home with you to dispose of through your residential curbside collection program. If you collect large items that cannot be transported home, let BurlingtonGreen organizers know when you report back with your collected waste amounts.
- Enter for a chance to win a $50 gift card to the Burlington Centre for your group.
- Additional prizes are available for sharing your photos.
For further information about BurlingtonGreen’s Clean Up, please visit burlingtongreen.org.
Stay tuned for a future post about the second half of BurlingtonGreen’s annual Clean Up Green Up component coming soon. A sneak peek about the Green Up and Tree Loving Care is available on their webpage.
Take Action Burlington! Collectively we can make a difference to keep Burlington green.