Spring is around the corner. You can sense the anticipation and see an extra bounce in everyone’s step, especially on a sunny, warm day. Spring also brings fond memories of children happily splashing in puddles. As the popular saying goes, “April showers bring May flowers.” Unfortunately today our rain often falls in more intense storms rather than light rain which can cause flooding and property damage. Fortunately there are steps that homeowners can take to reduce their risk of flooding.
What can I do?
Sign up for a Home Flood Protection Assessment online at www.homefloodprotect.ca or by calling 1-877-876-9235 to schedule an appointment.
What can I expect?
A trained assessor will come to your house to complete a 50-point visual assessment of potential ways that water can enter your home. The visit will take 60 to 90 minutes which seems like a good investment to me! A confidential, easy to read report will list actions to:
- Reduce infiltration, sewer back-up, and overland flood risks
- Manage indoor humidity to reduce mold and mildew risks
- Reduce risk of damage to structure and contents
- Wisely manage water onsite
- Understand risks as they relate to insurance coverage
You will also have access to:
- A live customer service helpline
- Personal follow-up from the assessor, and
- Seasonal maintenance reminders providing additional support as you work to protect your home from flooding.
Who can register for this program?
Owners of single-detached, semi-detached and townhomes.
What is the cost?
FREE if you’re one of the first 100 residents to sign up. After that, the fee is $95.
For more information, please visit www.homefloodprotect.ca
Take Action Burlington! Collectively we can and have to adapt to climate change.