Our climate is changing. Burlington is already experiencing warmer, wetter and wilder weather. In 2014, about two months’ worth of rain fell during eight hours affecting 3,000 households and resulting in $90 million in insured damages. Since then, the City of Burlington, Halton Region and Conservation Halton have carried out studies and implemented changes to help our community adapt to our changing climate.
Did you know?
The average cost to rebuild a flood damaged basement is $43,000. To help you learn how to protect your home, the City of Burlington is offering a 50 per cent subsidy on the cost of Home Flood Protection Assessments.
What can I expect with a Home Flood Protection Assessment?
It depends on whether your assessment is on-site or remote. Please note that due to COVID-19, only remote assessments are being offered at this time.
A trained assessor will come to your house to complete a 50-point visual assessment of potential ways that water can enter your home. The visit will take 60 to 90 minutes. Within one week, you will receive an easy-to-read report with actions to:
- Reduce risk of damage to structure and contents
- Manage infiltration, sewer back-up, and overland flood risk
- Wisely manage water onsite
- Manage indoor humidity to reduce mold and mildew risk
- Understand risks as they relate to insurance coverage
You will also have access to:
- A live customer service helpline
- An optional 15-minute personal follow-up from the assessor and
- Seasonal maintenance reminders providing additional support as you work to protect your home from flooding.
Take and submit photos of required features in your basement and around your property. A 60-minute teleconference will be scheduled between you and the assessor to review the photos and complete the assessment. Within a week, you will receive the same report and have access to the same features listed for the on-site assessment above.
Who can register for this program?
Owners of single-detached, semi-detached and townhomes.
How much does it cost and where do I register?
Subsidized in-person assessments cost $237.50 + HST (Regular price: $475 + HST).
Subsidized online assessments cost $212.50 + HST (Regular price: $425 + HST).
Please note that there are only 20 subsidy spots available in 2021.
Sign up online at homefloodprotect.info/register or call 1-877-876-9235 to schedule an appointment for an in-person or remote assessment.
Other related programs
City of Burlington’s Flood Prevention Subsidy Program covers the cost of a building permit for:
- The installation of a backwater valve
- The installation of a sump pump
- The repair/replacement of a sanitary line with the installation of a backwater value.
This program is currently in effect until Dec. 31, 2021.
Halton Region’s Enhanced Basement Flooding Prevention Subsidy Program offers subsidies for:
- Downspout disconnection
- Weeping tile disconnection and sump pump installation
- Backwater valve installation
- Sewer lateral (pipe) lining and repair
For more information, please visit homefloodprotect.ca.
Take Action Burlington! Collectively we can and have to adapt to our changing climate.