International Walk to School Month (IWALK) is an annual celebration of active transportation, such as walking and rolling, taking place around the world every October. Hundreds of Ontario schools participate in IWALK each year, with many holding their events on IWALK Day – Wednesday, Oct. 2, 2019.
Help to grow the active school travel movement across the province!
Encourage your school to register their IWALK event through Ontario Active School Travel to be entered into draws for prizes and receive a Certificate of Recognition.
Check out the following great resources to help with planning and promoting IWALK events in your school community:
- IWALK Poster
- IWALK Editable Poster – Insert your event details in the box!
- IWALK I-Spy Activity – What can you spot on the walk to school?
- IWALK Bilingual Sticker/Tattoo/Badge design
- IWALK Activity Ideas
- Songs to Walk ‘n’ Roll to
- Trip tracking tool poster
Locally, follow #EMCHalton and check out everymetrecounts.ca for walk ‘n roll maps which show how long it will take to walk or wheel to your school. Need more encouragement? Find out the top 10 reasons for parents and kids to walk and roll to school together.
Take Action Burlington! Let’s get our children walking and rolling to school again. It has so many benefits including:
- increases physical activity and
- decreases greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change.
Collectively we can make a difference.
I’ll be walking with my child. Will you?